Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) is an opportunity for property owners to finance energy efficiency, water conservation and renewable energy generation improvements through a voluntary assessment. These assessments will be attached to the property, not the owner, and will be paid back through the property tax system over time, making the program not only energy efficient but also affordable.
- Participation in this Sonoma County program is completely voluntary.
- Energy efficiency, water conservation and renewable energy generation upgrades must be permanently attached to the property to qualify. Items not permanently attached such as dishwashers and other appliances are not allowed. Improvements like insulation, cool roofing, heating and air conditioning systems, waterless urinals, solar panels and energy efficient windows are acceptable.
- Improvements must be made to existing buildings; new construction does not qualify.
- Assessments are a lien on the property itself: when the property is sold, the assessment stays with the property.
- Repayment is made through your property tax bill over time.
Participating in the Sonoma County Energy Independence Program is easy. First decide how much makes sense to invest in energy and water efficiency or renewables for your home. Then fill out our application and follow a few simple steps (outlined below.) Before you know it, you’ll be realizing a monthly energy savings on your bill.
Advantages of PACE financing through SCEIP
How to apply for SCEIP financing:
- Obtain a PG&E or equivalent energy audit, and/or water conservation audit. Required for commercial properties; optional but highly recommended for residential properties.
- Consult with a SCEIP participating contractor to determine the cost of the improvements you want to make, then use our on-line calulator to get an estimate of your annual payment.
- Commercial properties: If there is a mortgage on your property, obtain acknowledgement from your lender.
- Begin the on-line application process!
- Download an application, provide all the information required, and return the completed application to SCEIP, 2300 County Center Dr. Suite A105, Santa Rosa, CA 95403. Or email to: email@example.com SCEIP staff will contact you, and let you know if your application is approved, if further information is required, or if the Program is not able to fund your improvements at this time.
- Once your application is approved, hire your contractor.
- Sign your assessment contract. All owners of the property will be required to sign the contract and have their signatures notarized. A notary is available at no charge at the SCEIP office on Aviation Blvd.
- Have the work performed, then get sign-off from your local building inspector.
- In order to request your financing, submit your final documentation (finalized permit; invoices showing ALL costs, less rebate amounts) to SCEIP.
- For residential applications, if requests for financing are received by Wednesday at 4 pm, checks will be available on the first business day of the following week (typically Monday).
- For commercial applications, checks will be availabe the first business day of the month following the request, provided that all documentation is filed with SCEIP five days before the end of the month for processing.